From the bestselling author of Knickers and Stockings & Suspenders, comes the complete low-down on uplift, Bras.
Did you know…
- that the first patented bra was designed from two handkerchiefs?
- that the inflatable bras of the ’50s were rumoured to explode at high altitudes?
- that the very first garment resembling a bra was worn by Greek and Roman women in need of special support?
- that the eighteenth-century corset elevated and pushed out the breasts like two dumplings on a shelf?
- that a bust-improver of 1905 consisted of two cup-shaped, perforated metal discs like twin tea-strainers?
- that sixteenth-century women wore a ‘body’ of steel and wire very like the high-fashion bodies of today?
Bras also features detailed illustrations by Mary Want.
Rosemary Hawthorne trained at RADA and is married to a vicar. While bringing up 7 children, she began collecting old clothes and now owns one of the largest collection of vintage underwear in Britain. Her one-woman show, ‘The Knicker Lady’, has sold out at venues all over Britain.